Friday, December 3, 2010

SHATTERED BLISS


Life can be so funny, but this is not a laughing matter at all. Here I am crippled and disfigured for life. Waiting for a death that has so far eluded me. It can’t be me here, bedridden for two years, crippled and disfigured for life. Longing to slowly drift away into that state where there was no pain. To think that I once had the world at my feet. Born into a wealthy family with parents who ensured that we had the best of everything. I had a perfect life with everything going for me, until I met my doom; until I decided to marry Tunde, my first and only love.

As a child I remember dreaming of when I would become an adult and on one cozy evening, my Prince Charming wouldcome sweep me off my feet to a place where we would live happily ever after. Too much of watching TV soaps, love stories and reading romance novels perhaps made me think that marriage was a bed of roses; a world filled with so much love, companionship, children and all the niceties life has got to offer. How mistaken i was. The dream of a beautiful married life was just but a dream.

I met Tunde at the university. I was a fresher who had just gotten admission to read Mass Communication in the prestigious University of Ibadan. He looked dashingly handsome and harmless; I was smitten at first glance. The chemistry was banging, the smile ravishing and I fell helplessly, drowning in the ocean of love.

Tunde was a final year Medical student. Words could not describe how I felt when he asked me to be his girl. Of course I agreed without thinking twice.  I felt like a queen to gain the attention of one of the most sought after bachelor on Campus. It was a thing of pride to be seen walking side by side; with his arms around  my shoulder. I let go of my shy tendencies as he would kiss me publicly, not minding whose ox was gored.  My friends warned me to be careful but I would not listen. I gave him everything: my money, my body, my life.

Tunde was everything a woman would wish for a husband. He could never go wrong. I was so smitten and terribly in love. I cried my eyes sore when the end of the session came and he had to leave the school on completion of his degree programme. My joy knew no bound when on his last night in school, he proposed to me. I accepted to be his wife. I had been waiting for this all my life.

After Tunde left the school, I could barely concentrate on my studies. I looked forward to his visits and longed to be in his arms again. We got married three years later at a beautifully organized society wedding. The VIPs trooped in in numbers. My dad presented a gift of a Hummer Jeep to us to the admiration of guests. Everyone wished us a fruitful and blissful married life.

We set out on our life journey together to fulfill the dreams I had longed for all my life.  I never bargained for what was to become my lot five months into our marriage. Everything changed! Tunde; my husband became a monster. The patience and love we shared disappeared and life became a living hell. Tunde would come home completely drunk, smelling like a skunk. Sleeping with other women became his favourite past time and I became his punching bag. He derived pleasure in inflicting injuries on my body. I dared not question his moves as he’d beat me to unconsciousness. I decided to ignore his unfaithfulness and romance with other ladies . I made up my mind to endure the hell I had brought upon my self by marrying him

Tunde came home one night, drunk as usual. I had gotten used to it and so, did  not flinch. But then he started asking for his food. Since it was so late and I wasn’t expecting him home for the night, I had prepared only the food I could eat to avoid wasting it. So, I told him nicely that there was nothing at home at the moment for him to eat.  Suddenly, Tunde started calling me all sorts of names. I begged him to allow me go and cook something but he wouldn’t listen. He started beating me. He beat me to stupor and perhaps thought he could have more fun by teaching me the lesson of my life. He tied me to a mchair. Though I was unconscious, my senses came alive at a smell…could this be kerosene, I wondered in my spirit. That was when everything became black.

Here I am in this hospital.  I could have been dead..thanks to neighbours who came to my rescue…why would Tunde want me dead? Was it the alcohol? Or was it his darkened devilish soul? I can only wonder in pain. Where is my first love, My boyfriend; My Tunde.



5 comments:

  1. 'Shattered Bliss' is a creative fictional piece. It is not true life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrote this many years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrote this many years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrote this many years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sadly represent reality for a lot of women who continue to stifle and tolerate domestic violence.

    ReplyDelete